Complete List of Chicago Summer Festivals 2023 Events – NBC Chicago
The City of Chicago has announced its lineup of summer festivals and events for 2023, with more than a dozen events packed with music, food and more on the agenda. And while the big, long-running city-sponsored events are set to return, at least one of them comes with big changes: The Taste of Chicago.
Taste of Chicago — a hot topic among fans, politicians and social media for nearly a week after Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s recent announcement that the festival was moving to Navy Pier — will return to its Grant Park home, according to the Chicago Department of Commerce’s announcement Cultural affairs and special events.
However, the dates of the festival have changed. According to the city, Taste of Chicago is now scheduled to be held in September to accommodate the NASCAR racing spectacle at the Lakefront Park over the Fourth of July weekend.
However, The Taste’s three neighborhood pop-ups take place once a month from June to August.
“In an effort to reinvent the Taste of Chicago in a post-pandemic world, DCASE has worked alongside its partners to evaluate multiple possible locations and dates for the event,” the press release reads. “Moving this legendary event to the end of summer will extend our vibrant festival season and stimulate additional tourist and economic activity in the city center.”
“Summer doesn’t have to start and end with Memorial and Labor Day,” the publication continues.
The Navy Pier controversy came with news that Grant Park’s public use would be impacted by the NASCAR Cup Series, which required a 14-day closure of a portion of the park — from June 22 to July 5. The park would also face limited access to accommodate Lollapalooza setup and execution dates later in July and August and the Suenos Music Festival in May.
Here’s the full list of 2023 spring and summer festivals and events, which the city says are subject to change:
- Chicago City Markets (citywide, including Daley Plaza Thursdays, Maxwell Street Sundays TBA): May – October; ChicagoCityMarkets.us
- Wreath-laying ceremony and parade on Remembrance Day (Daley Plaza and State Street): May 27; Chicago.gov/DCASE
- Millennium Park summer training (Big Lawn): Most Saturdays, May 27 – September 2; MillenniumPark.org
- Chicago Gospel Music Festival (Millennium Park): June 3, MillenniumPark.org, ChicagoGospelMusicFestival.us
- Chicago Blues Festival (Millennium Park): 8th-11th June, MillenniumPark.org and ChicagoBluesFestival.us
- Taste of Chicago (Grant Park and neighborhoods): June 24 (Humboldt Park); July 15 (Pullman Park); and August 5 (Marquette Park); 8th-10th Sept (Grant Park); TasteofChicago.us
- Chicago House Music Festival and Conference Festival at Humboldt Park Boathouse Lawn (in conjunction with the neighborhood’s Taste Pop-up) on June 24; Chicago Cultural Center House Conference, June 23; ChicagoHouseMusicFestival.us
- Millennium Park Summer Music Series (Jay Pritzker Pavilion): Mondays and Thursdays, June 22 – August 21; MillenniumPark.org
- Millennium Park Summer Film Series (Jay Pritzker Pavilion): Tuesdays, July 11 – August 29, MillenniumPark.org
- Chicago Summer Dance (Citywide, including pop-ups and special events, Night Out in the Parks events, programs at the Spirit of Music Garden in Grant Park, and the SummerDance Celebration in Millennium Park): Select Dates July 15-September 10, ChicagoSummerDance.org
- Chicago Air and Water Show (North Avenue Beach and along the lakefront): Aug. 19-20 August; Exercise runs August 18; ChicagoAirandWaterShow.us
- SummerDance celebration (Jay Pritzker Pavilion and throughout Millennium Park): Sunday, August 27, MillenniumPark.org and ChicagoSummerDance.org
- Chicago Jazz Festival (Citywide including Millennium Park): Aug. 31 – Sept. 3; MillenniumPark.org and ChicagoJazzFestival.us
- Chicago World Music Festival (Citywide): Sept 22 – Oct 1; WorldMusicFestivalChicago.org